Wednesday 12 May 2010

"Call me Dave" enters Number 10

Great Britain has a new Prime Minister. David Cameron now heads the first coalition government in over 60 years, between his Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats, led by Nick Clegg; who is to become the new deputy Prime Minister.


Now I make it no secret that the Conservative party are not exactly my favourite. I did, however, vote Liberal Democrats. Before I jump on the Cameron hating bandwagon that has popped up, I think I'll give his and Nick's coalition government a chance to prove themselves before I judge them. I have never lived through a coalition government, but I believe it to be an exciting and interesting conclusion to an election which seems to have re-engaged the public with politics. As a Liberal Democrat voter I look forward to the prospect of some of their policies being implemented and I see this government as a way to (hopefully) allow the best policies both of Conservative and Liberal Democrats to be put into place, decided upon through debate and discussion. This is how it would work theoretically in my head. Let's hope that's how it happens.

There is already talk of the hard times that this government faces and how we, as a nation, are really going to need to tighten our belts while the economy gets sorted out. Public spending cuts and other measures to try and stabilise the economy are likely to make this government very unpopular meaning by the next general election we are likely to see a very different outcome.

It's easy to say that Cameron is going to be shit and only look out for the rich but with the Lib-Dems involved as well things could be interesting. I'll keep an open mind until I see some action to base a judgement on, as others should do.


 Let's wait and see what happens.


Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment