Tuesday 11 May 2010

Take a photo every day

I've stumbled upon something online that moved me quite a bit. Basically, on March 31st 1979, a man named Jamie Livingston decided to take a Polaroid picture every day for the rest of his life. The photos aren't all of him and many are of significant objects of that date, such as a newspaper front page telling of Princess Diana's death.

Throughout the pictures more is learnt about this mysterious man as his story unfolds. The final pictures depict him following a cancer diagnosis and lead right up to his death, showing that he carried on with the project until the very last. These photos go from 1979 to 1997 and are fascinating to look at, allowing you to piece them together to give some kind of narrative about our protagonist.

I thought it was an interesting idea for a project and it touched me. It got me thinking a little about how every day is important and, for want of a less cheesy phrase, to live every day as if it were your last.

I read about it here and the original site with all the photos, set up by one of the man's friends, can be found by clicking here.

I'm thinking of one day doing something similar, although taking all the photos of myself instead, such as in the video below, for a few years to see how I have aged and changed. I'm not sure if I have the commitment though.




Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment